Recommend: IDE and GUI library

aberba via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 1 12:23:57 PST 2017

On Friday, 24 February 2017 at 22:44:55 UTC, XavierAP wrote:
> Hi I've looked at wiki.dlang.org/IDEs, and I see that Visual D
> is linked from dlang.org/download.html. Still I was looking for
> personal opinions and experiences beyond hard specs, I wonder
> if one of the IDEs is already dominant at least for each OS for
> any good reason.
>
> My requirements are quite ordinary: make x64, debug, go to
> definition, manage projects, code completion. My platform is
> Windows; interested if the choice would be different for Linux,
> if the same nice, otherwise I'd prefer to use whatever is best
> on each OS.
>
> And second question, is DWT the de facto standard for creating
> GUIs? Or are there good competitors.
>
> Sorry if I'm asking something too obvious, though I've looked
> around for answers before. And I've also searched the forum but
> really equivalent questions were over 2 years old and many
> things may have changed.
> Thanks!

Gtkd is obviously defacto for Linux ONLY, dlangui for cross
platform app without native feel. But if you want something easy
and flexible with native look and feel on all platforms, well
tested, use LibUI (http://code.dlang.org/packages/libuid). Look
inside the "examples" folder in their Github repository to see
example usage.

More like:
  auto hbox = new Box(false).setPadded(1);
  vbox.append(hbox);

hbox.append(new Button("Button"))
     .append(new Checkbox("Checkbox"))

Examples: