Building a project with CMAKE

bauss via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 2 15:44:46 PST 2017

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 12:42:00 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-02-28 at 17:09 +0000, berni via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I do not have an immediate answer, but…
>
> CLion requires CMake, with CMake-D in a fit state we could use
> CLion with D – albeit very rough and ready way, at least
> initially. I am sure the DLanguage IDEA plugin can be made to
> work with CLion. If this combination can be made to work at
> all, then it can be improved over time.
>
> Personally I am now at the stage that without an IDE I don't
> start a project using that language. The important IDEs are
> JetBrains family and Eclipse. Anything else is niche or an also
> ran. At least currently.
>
> I am about to not use D for a new project because C++, Rust and
> Go have good IDEs. And I am an Emacs person. I guess I will
> have to join Emacs Anonymous as I do not use it any more except
> for LaTeX and AsciiDoc files. OK I use the Emacs bindings in
> the IDEs obviously.
>
> Unless the combination I proposed actually works. I will give
> it a go.

While it's true that they have better IDE's, I often find IDE's
too bulky so I often end up using Atom or something similar with
cmd plugins in which way it kinda acts like an IDE. Only thing
that sucks using editors like that is debugging, but generally
it's not a big deal to just run the code in an IDE and then debug
it.