Split Real / Float into Mantissa, Exponent, and Base

Jonathan M. Wilbur via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 3 10:09:02 PST 2017

I have tried to come up with a good way to get the mantissa,
exponent, and base from a real number, and I just can't come up
with a good cross-platform way of doing it. I know about
std.math.frexp(), but that function only gives you another real
as the mantissa. I need an integral mantissa, exponent, and base.

Is there either (1) a crafty, cross-platform way of doing this or
(2) a function in a standard library that does this that I
somehow missed? If there is no such function, what are your
thoughts on me implementing such a thing and submitting it to
Phobos, probably similar to how frexp is implemented (elseifs for
each FP format)?