code folding

XavierAP via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 13 14:17:31 PDT 2017

On Monday, 13 March 2017 at 17:29:41 UTC, Inquie wrote:

> I have been using
>
> static if(true)
> {
>     ... junk
> }

Indeed #region is part of the C# specification, even if it has no
effect on the code. (The specification does not say anything
about folding/collapsing, just about "marking sections of code",
although I guess most IDEs supporting it will follow the example
of MS's reference implementation.)

Short answer, D does not have this, as far as I know.

I don't really think it's good substitute practice to insert
meaningless static if(true)... Even if you're really used to that
feature, and even if you're right that it does the job and
doesn't change the generated code.

Unfortunately you can't get this folding easily (I'm sure some
Vim wizard would come up with something). Instead if you want to
mark regions of code, that's what comments are for. You can't get
the folding you want unfortunately (outside of naturally existing
bracket pairs) but you can use your editor to search forward and
backward in the file for whatever text, e.g.

//region: foo//