debug mixins

Inquie via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 14 20:43:20 PDT 2017

So, is it possible to debug string mixins?

I ran visual D and tried to step in to a function that was
generated by a mixin and it brought an open file dialog box
asking me to load the source code where the function was
located... of course, it wasn't located anywhere except in the
mixin string.

This leads to the idea, why can't the compiler simply output the
mixin string to a file then the debugger can load that source
file?

One of the most frustrating things about D is not having the
ability to debug it's powerful meta programming in any reasonable
way. (bad enough having to resort to using pragma(msg))

But we can't even debug the results of those meta programming in
the case of string mixins because there is no way to step in to
them... It seems all the machinery is there, but just a few extra
steps are needed.