std.digest toHexString

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 16 16:12:11 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 06:51:45PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 March 2017 at 18:07:09 UTC, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:
> > Why don't you use -dip1000???
>
> Because it isn't the default. But even if it was, people would ask
> "why is this giving me an error?" and the same explanation would need
> to be given.  Certainly, a compile error is better than runtime
> corruption, but the underlying issue ought to be fixed anyway.

Not to mention that even with -dip1000, the fundamental problem still
happens:

	int[16] func();
	int[] x = func();	// allowed even with -dip1000

	x[0] = 123; // this writes to the now out-of-scope rvalue returned by func()

Doubtless it is a good thing to have an open mind, but a truly open mind should be open at both ends, like the food-pipe, with the capacity for excretion as well as absorption. -- Northrop Frye