List Comprehension equivalent

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 18 04:32:03 PDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-03-17 at 12:32 -0700, Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> On 03/17/2017 12:21 PM, John Colvin wrote:
>  > On Friday, 17 March 2017 at 19:08:36 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>
>  >> Rust ownership problems
>  >> seem to be a doddle compared to this problem.
>
> It sometimes feels like that but we don't want to lose you. :)

Rust has a lot going for it, some of it hype, agreed, that has
transformed into a vibrant user community. Go also has a vibrant user
community, at least in London. Even C++ has a vibrant user community in
London – reinvigorated and spurred on by Phil Nash, JetBrains, and
C++17. In the face of Rust, Go, and C++ activity in London, and D's
failure to get any user community activity going, it is hard to not
shift away from D to Rust, Go, and C++.

>  > reduce is a free function in std.algorithm. Just import it and
> you're
>  > away.
>
> 'fold' (a relatively recent addition) is recommended is almost all
> cases
> because  it actually works with chained range syntax.
>
>    https://dlang.org/phobos/std_algorithm_iteration.html#fold

The whole inject/reduce/fold/foldr/foldl/foldl' naming and API
definition thing is a mess. But then that is 50 years of programming
language evolution for you. :-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk