questions about dub

thorstein via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 21 14:01:31 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have questions regarding the usage of 'dub'. I'm learning D
under Win7. I have installed VisualD for the community edition of
Visual Studio and got some file i/o working.

Next I would like to continue with the mir-tools for matrix
manipulation. I understood that I have to build them first using
dub. But I didn't succeed:

C:\..\AppData\Roaming\dub>dub fetch mir-algorithm
Fetching mir-algorithm 0.1.1...
Please note that you need to use `dub run <pkgname>` or add it to
dependencies of your package to actually use/run it. dub does not
do actual installation of packages outside of its own ecosystem.

C:\..\AppData\Roaming\dub>dub run mir-algorithm
Building package mir-algorithm in
C:\..\AppData\Roaming\dub\packages\mir-algorithm-0.1.1\mir-algorithm\
Fetching mir-internal 0.0.5 (getting selected version)...
Main package must have a binary target type, not sourceLibrary.
Cannot build.

Thats where I stuck.

Beside my specific problem of how to start with the mir-tools I
wonder how and for what purpose 'dub' is applied when building
projects in connection with Visual Studio? Or is it just a more
light-weight command line build tool?

Thanks for shedding some light!
Thorstein