Productive vibe.d dev environment (IDE, debugger) on Linux?

Carlin via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu May 4 21:06:19 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 at 17:43:07 UTC, kinke wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> can anyone recommend a more or less production-ready dev
> environment for vibe.d on Linux?
> I'm evaluating vibe.d against Phoenix (Elixir/Erlang) for a new
> project. Today I gave Visual Studio Code a quick shot (with LDC
> 1.1.1 and DMD 2.071/72/74), with Webfreak's plugins, but I'm
> not happy at all (gdb/lldb crashing most of the time incl.
> debugged process, no AutoComplete/IntelliSense due to problems
> when building some of the plugin dependencies etc.).
>
> Any hints are greatly appreciated, as I'm really impressed by
> vibe.d itself so far.

I find MonoDevelop on Linux / Xarmain Studio on Windows with the
D language plugin works quite well with Vibe 0.7.30 (OSX is worse
but still somewhat useable). Code completion doesn't seem to work
well with later versions. I've not tried debugging on Windows but
on Linux there is support to use GDB which gives you breakpoints
and things inside the IDE. I've not used it beyond breakpoints
and inspecting variables I don't know what will work. I've heard
that GDC works better with GDB than the other compilers but I've
not personally verified that.