Looking for an equivalent to C++ std::getline in D

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue May 9 12:11:08 PDT 2017

On Monday, May 08, 2017 11:41:02 Daniel N via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, 8 May 2017 at 10:51:52 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> > On Sunday, 7 May 2017 at 20:50:10 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> >> If you look on TIOBE [1] newest stats, D does not look so bad
> >> after all. It's ranked 23 with a 1.38% share. The so
> >
> > Tiobe is a "hoax".
> >
> > Stack overflow counts for alternative languages:
> >
> > "swift": 146,374
> > "scala": 65,594
> > "go": 22,212
> > "rust": 6,596
> > "d": 2,211
> > "nim": 167
>
> Stack-Overflow usage is clearly not representative of language
> usage.
> 1) Our forum is flourishing, why would any D developer use SO?
> 2) The number of questions is directly proportional with the
> difficulty of the language.(D is quite easy to learn, especially
> compared to rust).

There are a lot of different metrics that can be used to measure how popular
a language is. Tiobe and SO are just two of them. And with each metric, you
have to keep in mind how they get those numbers in order to figure out what
they indicate.

It's easy to tell that D is not as big as languages like C/C++, but it can
be much harder to tell how its usage compares to languages like Rust.

LOL. I get the impression that it's often the tendancy of D folks is to get
excited when D shows up as high in a list like Tiobe and to argue that the
list doesn't mean much if D isn't high in the list.

- Jonathan M Davis