purity question

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun May 28 18:12:53 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 28 May 2017 at 23:49:16 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
>     // do something arbitrarily complex with s that doesn't
> touch globals or change global state except possibly state of
> the heap or gc

  Sounds like the basic definition of pure to me; At least in
regards to D. Memory allocation which is a system call, doesn't
actually break purity. Then again if you were worried about not
using the gc, there's the newer nogc property.

[quote]
  TDPL pg. 165: 5.11.1 Pure functions

  In D, a function is considered pure if returning a result is
it's only effect and the result depends only on the function's
arguments.
[/quote]