Any book recommendation for writing a compiler?

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Thu Nov 2 14:24:01 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 20:53:44 UTC, Dr. Assembly wrote:
> Hey guys, if I were to get into dmd's source code to play a
> little bit (just for fun, no commercial use at all), which
> books/resources do you recommend to start out?

You don't need to read books to write a compiler, a bit of theory
from "here or there" will be enough, particularly if you start
from scratch, there's almost no chance that you ever touch the
more edgy things (something like theory of types maybe ).

A few ones written in D (sorted by URL length):

- https://github.com/dlang/dmd
- https://github.com/BBasile/yatol
- https://github.com/higgsjs/Higgs
- https://github.com/VoltLang/Volta
- https://github.com/beast-lang/beast-dragon

Otherwise a subreddit that's not been quoted yet:

- https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammingLanguages/ and their
homepage listing a few projects from people who have started "the
journey": http://www.proglangdesign.net/