core file

codephantom me at noyb.com
Mon Nov 13 05:37:12 UTC 2017

On Monday, 13 November 2017 at 05:01:18 UTC, Tony wrote:
> I am getting the message from my program execution:
>
> "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"
>
> But I don't see a core file in the current directory or in my
> home directory. Is there one somewhere? Would I be able to do
> anything meaningful with it if it exists?

More info than that is needed.

What platform are you on?

Do you have core dumps enabled/disabled?

If you have it enabled...where does it put them?

And yes, core dumps are potentially useful for debugging.

However, given you're asking that question, and getting core
dumps, then it might be easier for you to use the -g option when
you compile, and then run your executable (or a.out) through a
debugger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcVmWbYEIsk