Huge increase in UT compile time

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Oct 11 08:11:37 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 06:25:19 Dhananjay via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am upgrading to DMD 2.076.1 from DMD 2.069.2 (similar results
> on 2.075.1), and seeing a huge increase in unittest compilation
> time when the -deps parameter is also passed to dmd. This is on
> both OSX and linux. What can be the cause of this?

Well, that's a pretty big version jump. So, a lot could have changed. One
thing that comes to mind would be that imports were overhauled pretty
thoroughly to try and fix various import bugs. This blog article talks about
some of that:

http://www.schveiguy.com/blog/2016/03/import-changes-in-d-2-071/

Or the change could be the result of something else entirely. Figuring it
out would likely require doing a fair bit of debugging to narrow down when
the change happened (and that's assuming that it's caused by a single commit
or small set of commits rather than simply getting worse over time due to a
variety of factors).

- Jonathan M Davis