Associative arrays with keys containing mutable indirections

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 13:56:24 UTC 2017

On 10/30/17 6:49 AM, Tony wrote:
> I prefer the built-in associative array over using some template
> library. It has the clean look and ease-of-use that you get with a
> similar data structure in dynamic languages like Python. I consider it a
> top feature of D.

There is a misunderstanding here. The goal is to replace the
implementation of the builtin AA with a template implementation. Right
now there are some "magic" pieces of the AA that are helped by the
compiler. If we can do this all in a template library, then the syntax
doesn't change at all, but now you have better abilities to customize
the builtin AAs, or use more specialized templates in some cases.

-Steve