How to compile for Win64 with Visual D? Optlink error?

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Tue Sep 19 20:18:32 UTC 2017

On 19.09.2017 13:47, Timothy Foster wrote:
> I'm trying to compile my project as a Win64 application but this is
> happening:
>
> Building C:\Users\me\test\test.exe...
> OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 8.00.17
> Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2013  All rights reserved.
> http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html
> OPTLINK : Warning 183: Extension not .RES :
> obj\debug\dummy\test\..\source\c.obj
> obj\debug\dummy\test\..\source\b.obj(1) : Error 52: .DEF Syntax Error
> d†šöñÀY$@
>
> ^
> Building C:\Users\me\test\test.exe failed!
>

> I'm on a Win64 machine and compiling Win32 works fine. I'm using Visual
> Studio 17 Community with Visual D. DMD is up to date as is Visual D.
>
> I added a x64 "solution platform" to the configuration manager which
> added a -m64 flag to my linker options. I'm not sure what else I'm meant
> to do to get it to compile as x64?

That usually happens if the DMD bin folder is searched first in the PATH
variable (unfortunately the linker and other tools have the same name as
the Microsoft programs).

You should verify that the VC folder is listed first in
Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->Visual D Settings->DMD
Directories->x64->Executable Paths, i.e.

$(VCTOOLSINSTALLDIR)bin\HostX86\x86

should be listed before

$(DMDInstallDir)windows\bin