Real beginner traits question

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Sep 25 06:07:58 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 05:28:13AM +0000, WhatMeForget via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:

> This is taken exactly from the traits documentation.

> 25 Traits
>
> 25.21 identifier
>
> Takes one argument, a symbol. Returns the identifier for that symbol
> as a string literal.

> There are no examples. My naive brain keeps thinking that a symbol and
> an identifier are the same things.  Can someone give me good
> definitions of "symbol" and "identifier".   And maybe an example if it
> is not too much trouble.

You're not the only one.  I stared at this same piece of documentation
for a long time before I figured out what it meant. This is another
example of poor documentation writing.  Please file a bug, and I'll see
if I can get around to making an example for it.

Notwithstanding the eloquent discontent that you have just respectfully expressed at length against my verbal capabilities, I am afraid that I must unfortunately bring it to your attention that I am, in fact, NOT verbose.