Region-based memory management and GC?

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Fri Sep 29 22:13:01 UTC 2017

Have there been any investigations into using region-based memory
management (aka memory arenas) in D, possibly in conjunction with
GC allocated memory? This would be a very speculative idea, but
it'd be interesting to know if there have been looks at this area.

My own interest is request-response applications, where memory
allocated as part of a specific request can be discarded as a
single block when the processing of that request completes,
without running destructors. I've also seen some papers
describing GC systems targeting big data platforms that
incorporate this idea. eg.
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~khanhtn1/papers/osdi16.pdf

--Jon