dynamically allocating on the stack

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 23:47:41 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 21 April 2018 at 19:06:52 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

> alloca is an intrinsic, and part of the language technically --
> it has to be.

 From what I can tell `alloca` is only available in the platform's
C standard library (actually for Linux it appears be part of
libgcc as `__builtin_alloca`; `alloca` is just and alias for it).
  Of course I can use 3rd party libraries like C to do this, but
it seems like something useful to have in the language for
certain use case and optimizations.  Also, my immediate use case
if for bare metal microcontroller programming where I'm
intentionally avoid C and looking for a way to do this in
idiomatic D.

Mike