Doxygen newbie

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Mon Apr 23 09:06:27 UTC 2018

On Monday, April 23, 2018 07:49:00 Chris Katko via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> I'm a complete doxygen newbie. But my first thought when writing
> comments is... why not use Markdown? (Which has become almost
> universal online these days.)
>
> So I google it and Moxygen comes up. Which seems pretty good.
>
> https://sourcey.com/generating-beautiful-markdown-documentation-with-moxyg
> en/
>
> So my question is, can you use Markdown with normal Doxygen? Is
> Moxygen needed? And if so, would I run into any complications
> using D instead of C/C++ with Doxygen and Moxygen?
>
> Would there be any strange demangling issues or anything like
> that?

Historically, doxygen would not have interacted well with markdown at all,
but it looks like they added some markdown support with doxygen 1.8.0. This
page discusses it:

http://doxygen.nl/markdown.html

If you want to use doxygen with D, it should work just fine, but it's a
pretty atypical thing to do. D has its own built-in documentation generation
system, ddoc:

https://dlang.org/spec/ddoc.html

However, there are some alternatives that some in the D community use - the
most notable ones being ddox and adrdox. Several are listed on the dlang
wiki:

https://wiki.dlang.org/Documentation_Generators

- Jonathan M Davis