Compiler build error

Alex sascha.orlov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 12:21:36 UTC 2018

I'm a little bit confused by following situation:

I have code, say around 8000 lines. Now, I'm facing a build error
which just says

dmd failed with exit code -11,

(same for ldc2, with some lines of stack information, which do
not belong to my code)

0  ldc2                     0x0000000106fcc4e7
llvm::sys::PrintStackTrace(llvm::raw_ostream&) + 37
1  ldc2                     0x0000000106fcb9ea
llvm::sys::RunSignalHandlers() + 83
2  ldc2                     0x0000000106fcc90e SignalHandler(int)
+ 239
3  libsystem_platform.dylib 0x00007fff5992af5a _sigtramp + 26
4  libsystem_platform.dylib 0x000000015fcde600 _sigtramp +
104543936
ldc2 failed with exit code -11.

As I'm compiling rather often, I know exactly which line in my
code causes this error. As the compiler refuses to exit normally,
I'm not sure, if the line is buggy (so, whether I'm trying to
compile, something, what is not compilable) or, I'm facing an
ICE. In both cases, I'm ready to rewrite my code a little bit to
get around the error, as I need a solution quite fast.

My assumption is, that I built a kind of loop, which the compiler
does not know how to get along. But in order to rewrite it, I
have to know, what I have to rewrite... So, despite I know
exactly the culprit line in my code, I don't have any information
about how to solve the problem.

What I'm trying now is to use dustmite. But this, lasts for about
8 hours now and is already at depth 20. Lacking experience with
this tool, I'm not sure, if this is normal... The last time I
tried to use it elsewhere, I got a final depth of 13, but also an
empty file as its analysis result.

The command for dustmite was
dub dustmite ../dust --compiler-status=-11 --combined

Yes... the builds were also done with dub. So,
dub build
and
dub build --compiler=ldc2
respectively.