How do you actually run the "Start a minimal webserver" example on the home page

Radu rad.racariu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 21:14:20 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 25 August 2018 at 20:37:04 UTC, Everlast wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 August 2018 at 20:28:55 UTC, Chris M. wrote:
>> On Saturday, 25 August 2018 at 20:17:35 UTC, AN wrote:
>>> I downloaded the script and made it executable. I also have
>>> dub on `/usr/bin/dub` . The example just stalls with no
>>> output. After fidgeting around for 5 minutes I realized it
>>> was downloading silently in the background. (I think for
>>> homepage examples, they should be running in verbose mode as
>>> this is probably the first touchpoint for a new D user)
>>>
>>> Now, i have this error:
>>>
>>> $ ./webserver.d
>>> /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find -lssl
>>> /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find -lcrypto
>>> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> Error: /usr/bin/gcc failed with status: 1
>>> /usr/bin/ldc2 failed with exit code 1.
>>>
>>> System: Ubuntu 18.04
>>>
>>> Should dub take care of those for installation? Or, maybe the
>>> example is best run with a docker image of dmd/ldc compiler.
>>
>> You need the libssl-dev package installed first, it contains
>> the libraries that ld is complaining it can't find. As far as
>> I know that's not within dub's scope to worry about.
>>
>> sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
>
> Then don't you think these thing should be mentioned with the
> examples? It looks very bad(and is, since it wastes peoples
> time) to give an example that has dependencies and they are not
> mentioned, nor is the method to make it all work).

You can add that mention. Post the PR link here.

Those linker errors are easy to Google. OpenSSL is a basic
building block for major OSes, not like it requires some obscure
stupid dependency.

Dlang is not Basic nor PHP, don't wanna sound like a precious
little prick, but some things just need to be said!