Imports and Subfolders and Links (Oh, My!)

Ron Tarrant rontarrant at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 17:41:47 UTC 2018

On Friday, 7 December 2018 at 16:43:02 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> That's wrong: the import name and the module name should always
> match, in full, including all the dot parts.
>
> So if you "import app.modulename;", the other file must have
> "module app.modulename;"

Okay. I guess the instructions I saw were for an earlier version
of D... or I misunderstood. (either is likely?)

> Moreover, you should either 1) list all modules in your
> application

Are you talking about a list of import statements here or is
there another way/place I would list them?

> not in a library on the command line,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'library' in this statement.

> or 2) if using the newest compiler versions, pass the -i flag
> so the compiler will automatically include them for you.

I tried this and it worked.

Just still trying to understand when it would be necessary to use
a prefix and dot separator in an import statement.

The bottom line here is, I have an application (Corkboard) I
wrote in PHPGtk years ago and I'm learning D by transposing it.
I'd like to maintain the code organization I had in the original
— subfolders, etc. At the same time, I'd like to put my big-boy
pants on and make it look like I know what I'm doing when I
compile rather than compiling modules over and over needlessly.

Does D have the concept of makefiles? I haven't run across any
reference to such things so far.