select, poll, epoll from D

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Feb 2 19:21:09 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-02-02 at 18:02 +0000, Seb via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 18:00:45 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone got any examples of using (select|poll|epoll)
> > directly from D. Yes I can work it out from first principles,
> > but it would be great to see what others have done in the past
> > so as to make use of their work.
>
> Do you know about vibe.d's eventcore?
>
> https://github.com/vibe-d/eventcore

No. I looked at dlang-libevent (which is packaged on Debian) and dlang-
libev (which is not packaged for Debian) and realised I don't need
another full on event loop in this application. I really do just need a
seemingly infinite loop alternately testing one fd for readability with
a timeout and then a receiveTimeout on the input channel of the thread.
To do anything else is to have too much infrastructure doing nothing.

The problem is going to be that DInotify isn't going to let me get at
the file descripter to sue with select, poll, or epoll.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200