Debugging on Windows

Cauterite cauterite at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 10:22:12 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 at 21:09:33 UTC, JN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any way to debug binaries on Windows? I'd at least
> like to know which line of code made it crash. If it's D code,
> I get a call trace usually, but if it's a call to a C library,
> I get a crash and that's it. I am using VSCode and I'd prefer
> to debug in it if possible, but using other IDEs is a
> possibility for me if that will help.

Other options:

I use x64dbg, x32dbg and ollydbg with D.
When PDB files are loaded you should get symbol names and
line-by-line source file mapping.
Currently they don't do much memory analysis though — like
getting names of variables on the stack or fields of objects on
the heap.

With -m64 the linker should already be emitting PDB files that
x64dbg will find automatically.

With 32-bit OPTLINKed code you need to use cv2pdb on the
.exe/.dll to get the PDB file, then olly/x32dbg should find it.

WinDBG should work too — which is probably your only choice if
you're writing a driver.