Alias vs templates

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 20:27:29 UTC 2018

On 2/21/18 1:46 PM, Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:
> I am trying to figure out a crispier syntax for templatized open
> methods. I am stumbling on this (see comments):
>
> // dmd -run conflict.d
> int foo();
>
> struct Foo {
>    static int foo(int x) { return x; }
> }
>
> alias foo = Foo.foo; // overload with an alias - OK
>
> int bar(T)();
> int bar(T)(T x) { return x; } // overloaded function templates - OK
>
> int baz(T)();
>
> struct Baz {
>    static int baz(T)(T x) { return x; }
> }
>
> //alias baz = Baz.baz; // Error: alias conflict.baz conflicts with
> template conflict.baz(T)() at conflict.d(11)
>
> void main()
> {
>    import std.stdio;
>    writeln(foo(42)); // 42
>    writeln(bar(666)); // 666
> }
>
> Why?

I think because one is a function, which is allowed to be overloaded,
the other is a symbol.

But clearly, there are some liberties taken when you are overloading
function templates, as overloading them works just fine. I think this
may have been a patch at some point (you didn't use to be able to
overload template functions with normal functions).

It seems like a reasonable request that this code should work.

-Steve