Game and GC

Norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 03:25:33 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 01:54:07 UTC, Leonardo wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to language and games.
> Many people say that GC is bad and can slow down your project
> in some moments.
> What can happen if I create a game using D without worrying
> with memory management?
> (using full GC)

Have a look at https://github.com/gecko0307/atrium and see how
memory is handled there.

TBH though every game I've written I have not worried about the
GC and just code it up. This works fine for 2d games, platformers
etc. If it ever does bite you can always schedule the pauses
(they are deterministic in the sense a collect will occur on
allocation) or do pretty much what every game does in C++/C and
allocate in pools.

Cheers,
Norm