how to localize console and GUI apps in Windows

Andrei aalub at mail.ru
Wed Jan 3 06:42:42 UTC 2018

On Friday, 29 December 2017 at 11:14:39 UTC, zabruk70 wrote:
> On Friday, 29 December 2017 at 10:35:53 UTC, Andrei wrote:
>> Though it is not suitable for GUI type of a Windows
>> application.
>
> AFAIK, Windows GUI have no ANSI/OEM problem.
> You can use Unicode.

Partly, yes. Just for a test I tried to "russify" the example
Windows GUI program that comes with D installation pack
(samples\d\winsamp.d). Window captions, button captions, message
box texts written in UTF8 all shows fine. But direct text output
functions CreateFont()/TextOut() render all Cyrillic from UTF8
strings into garbage.

> For Windows ANSI/OEM problem you can use also
> https://dlang.org/phobos/std_windows_charset.html

Thank you very much, toMBSz() makes requisite translation for
TextOut() function with some workarounds.