Using Postgres connection functions

Joe jma at freedomcircle.com
Sat Jan 13 17:58:14 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 13 January 2018 at 10:10:41 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> There's a native D library, ddb [1], for connecting to
> Postgres. Then you don't have to worry about null-terminated
> strings.

There are several D libraries that I would consider "native":
derelict-pq, dpq, dpq2 and ddb. The latter perhaps has the
distinction that it doesn't use libpq, but rather implements the
Postgres FE/BE protocol. That's a bit *too* native for my taste.
It means the library maintainer has to keep up with changes to
the internal protocol, which although published, the Postgres
group doesn't have to maintain compatibility from version to
version. For example, they haven't dropped the PQsetdbLogin
function even though the PQconnectdb and PQconnectdbParams
functions are obviously preferred. OTOH, there used to be an
AsciiRow message format in the protocol, that was dropped,
unceremoniously (not even mentioned in the release notes).