Help me understand how to contribute to bugs report / fixing

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Jan 27 04:43:22 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 08:43:05PM +0000, Fra Mecca via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> Pull request are done via git and bugs reported by the tracker.  The
> problem is when I want to understand if the bug of the tracker is
> referenced in the repo of the organization and has an open PR.

The way it's done is that in your git commit, include a commit message
like this:

	Fix issue 12345: <summary description here>

This will cause the bot on github to automatically link the PR to the
bugzilla issue, so when the PR gets merged, the bug will be updated.

On the bugzilla side, the convention is that once there's a PR for that
bug, you post the github link in a bugnote and add "pull" to the list of
keywords.

This way people can find the PR from the bug or vice versa.

[...]
> I feel that the section "Get involved" on the D wiki should aid
> newcomers with a more detailed description of the workflow of
> maintainers and collaborators.

Now that you know how, perhaps you should update that page so that it's
more helpful to newcomers. That's what a wiki is for. ;-) We could do it
too, but it might be better if you did it since you still have the fresh
outlook of a newcomer, whereas old-timers like us would probably be
unconsciously making assumptions that newcomers have no idea about, and
wind up writing something that isn't as helpful as it could be.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else. -- despair.com