dmd error - unrecognized file extension

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Mon Jan 29 18:02:47 UTC 2018

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:25:34 +0000, Evan Burkey wrote:

> Hi there, I have a problem that is eluding me, hoping someone can help
> me see the light. I'm on Windows 10 using the latest version of dmd. I
> have a directory with 2 files: "version.txt" and "versioncheck.d".
> version.txt contains a single line of text. I have the line:
>
>      immutable version = import("version.txt");
>
> and my dmd switches are:
>
>      dmd -J. .\versioncheck.d
>
> but dmd fails with "Error: unrecognized file extension". I've searched
> the internet but found very little about this problem. Hopefully I'm
> just missing something simple.
>
> Thanks!

I have the same issue on Windows 10, but Linux works; have you checked the
issue tracker yet?

It looks like just `dmd -J .\versioncheck.d` should work [I haven't tested
this properly with an actual string mixin, but I don't get that error this
way]. On Windows, dmd doesn't seem to like starting with the period.

So if it was in a different directory, instead of `dmd -J.\somedir` on
Windows you'd need to just do `dmd -Jsomedir`

--Ryan