How to proceed with learning to code Windows desktop applications?

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Wed Jan 31 11:52:20 UTC 2018

On Monday, 29 January 2018 at 22:55:12 UTC, I Lindström wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've been doing console apps for about a year and a half now,
> but my requirements are reaching the limits of easy to use with
> ASCII-based UI and typed commands so I'm thinking of moving
> into GUI-era with my projects. I was wondering if some one
> could help me into the right direction. I've been Googling a
> ton these past few days for some kind of a book or a course on
> how to code desktop applications for Windows, but either there
> isn't one, or it's very well hidden. I've found bits and pieces
> but nothing to give me a coherent approach.
>
> The other way I've been thinking is to do the thing
> browser-based, but for some reason that doesn't feel right.

On Windows platform, WPF is the way to go right now. Once you
accommodate yourself with XAML (descriptive language for
designing windows and controls), you can step up from WPF to
modern Windows apps (UWP). Unfortunately, none of these
technologies are supported in D.

WinAPI is for masochistic people, WinForms is obsolete.

But we are leaving in the everything-is-an-web-app era, therefore
don't dismiss the idea of an web application. I don't like them
either.