Is it feasible to slowly rewrite a C++ codebase in D?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 07:51:51 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 at 15:12:51 UTC, Seb wrote:
> it might also be feasible to simply use normal D.
>
> Have you already tried this?

There's no strict distinction between using D normally and in
systems programming fashion for me, because my main function
isn't written in D.

But in practice it's systems-style code. I mostly use stdc suff
which can conveniently link into libraries coming with
Emscripten, and std.range and std.algorithm, which do not require
instantiations. There are a few instantiated thing from DRuntime
and Phobos too, at least slice copying and stuff from std.random.
I do not use the GC, nor anything else which has required to call
a global initializator.

I know about Vladimir's d-scripten tools library which would
help, but it's based on Alawains library copyleft library, which
makes also Vladimir's work copyleft, so I won't use it.