Is there any plan for a dependency-free subset of "core" runtime?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Thu Jul 19 14:32:34 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 19 July 2018 at 12:44:30 UTC, Radu wrote:
> Just tried something similar with new LDC Webassembly support
> [1] and it fails to compile

> This is a prime example of stuff that should just workTM on
> targets like that. I would like to submit some fixes but I
> think there needs to be a more systematic approach on making
> more core APIs modular.
> Also, CI support to make sure core API compile on such targets
> and there are no regressions. Webassembly would be an excellent
> target as it is both constrained and portable.

To be fair, the WebAssembly support is still WIP and hasn't even
been released yet ;-)
Anyhow, here's how I think we can move forward for now:

1) Open the issue you experienced in the ldc issue tracker
2) Add more tests for -betterC to the test suites (and thus CI)

For (2) I have an "old" PR staling around
(https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5952), which I should try
to rebase and get into Phobos. Then it should be easier to add
more -betterC tests for Phobos.