Newbie: out-of-source builds with "dub"?

CC nospam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 01:50:23 UTC 2018

Before starting with D programming, most of my projects have
configured their build systems with Autotools or CMake, and git
for source control.

With those systems, it's usually considered best practice to
store all files generated during configuration and build to be
located outside of the source tree.

My usual modus operandi is:
1. check out the project into some directory "foo".
2. create another directory "foo.build", somewhere outside of
"foo".
3. "cd foo.build"
4. Run some configuration script/file located in "foo", to
generate "foo.build/Makefile".
5. Run "make".

I've started playing with "dub", and it *seems* to assume that
you want the files generated during the build process to reside
directly inside your checked-out source tree.

Is that true?  And if so, am I fighting dub's design by
attempting out-of-source builds?