Newbie: out-of-source builds with "dub"?

CC nospam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:23:06 UTC 2018

On Monday, 30 July 2018 at 07:34:04 UTC, Alex wrote:
>> I've started playing with "dub", and it *seems* to assume that
>> you want the files generated during the build process to
>> reside directly inside your checked-out source tree.
>>
>> Is that true?  And if so, am I fighting dub's design by
>> attempting out-of-source builds?
>
> For example, you could define
> "targetPath"
> within the dub configuration, which points to a relative path
> somewhere.
>
> [1] https://code.dlang.org/package-format?lang=json

Thanks Alex.  IIUC what you're proposing is close to what I'd
need for true out-of-source builds, but not quite there.

With "targetPath", it sounds like I'd need to modify a file
(DUB's .json file) that's in the source tree to indicate where
some(?)/all(?) of the files resulting from the build would be
stored.

But it sounds like I'm maybe fighting DUB's design by even
attempting out-of-source builds.  So I need to ask: when using
Dlang and DUB, are in-source builds simply the idiomatic way of
doing things?

As much as I'm a fan of out-of-source builds, I'm trying to be
open-minded as I dive into D.