Debugging silent exit of threads in Phobos calls

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 14:59:11 UTC 2018

On 06/01/2018 04:12 AM, Russel Winder wrote:

> Obviously std.concurrency.receive should never terminate a thread, and
> it should never terminate a thread silently, but given that it clearly
> does (using dmd 2.080 from d-apt on Debian Sid) how is one to find out
> useful information as to why it is exiting silently.

It sounds like one of the message handlers is throwing. In that case, it
sounds like a good idea to wrap each handler with try-catch.

Ali

P.S. In case it's useful for someone, and I know it's not for the same
case, I include something about exceptions in a worker thread, which
shows that it's possible to receive a shared(Exception):

http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/concurrency.html#ix_concurrency.exception,%20concurrency

However, it fails to suggest catching Throwable or Error at least for
debugging.