Is it feasible to slowly rewrite a C++ codebase in D?

user1234 user1234 at 12.nl
Wed Jun 20 20:16:07 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 at 18:47:10 UTC, Jordi Gutiérrez
Hermoso wrote:
> I'm specifically thinking of the GNU Octave codebase:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/@
>
> It's a fairly old and complicated C++ codebase. I would like to
> see if I could slowly introduce some D in it, anywhere.

- This can be a problem if the project is very active. This issue
was noticed by the people who converted DMD compiler from C++ to
D and finally a dedicated tool was used, improved until some CI
tests passed.

> Now, as I understand it, I would need to begin with making
> `main` a D function, because D needs to initialise the runtime.
> Is this correct?

- The runtime can be initialized by hand if it's required, see
core.runtime.Runtime.initialize()