Move and CTFE

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 21 20:15:42 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 at 23:07:26 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> newCTFE is taking a very different approach to CTFE, and in
> theory, it will fix many of the problems that CTFE currently
> has, but it's taking Stefan quite a while to get it to where it
> needs to be to actually merge it.

To give some more context here:

I do intend newCTFE to be a drop-in replacement that offers the
same functionality (including the very accurate error detection
and precise error reporting)
Which was quite hard to achieve due to not being able of creating
Error-Nodes from inside the interpreter.
I'd say for the amount of things that newCTFE currently
_correctly_ handles it has been fast progress!

CTFE is the most well tested feature in dmd.
So there is no room for sloppiness or functional differences!
As you previously mentioned the newCTFE engine works on a
completely different basis then the old engine does.
This does provide both speed and better debugging support, but
comes at the cost of having to re-implement a complete backend
and some parts of semantic analysis.