alias symbol name

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Jun 26 12:19:16 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 11:28:11 Radu via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure that that's impossible. As I understand it, the
> > compiler basically just replaces aliases with what they refer
> > to and doesn't care what the original type was. And they
> > _definitely_ don't affect mangling. If you're looking to treat
> > an alias as anything different from what it refers to, you're
> > going to be disappointed.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Ha! :) yeah I was pretty sure this will not work.
>
> I'm looking to generate some custom wrappers and knowing when
> something is really `size_t` is important, I have a backup plan,
> but having a compiler trait to get an alias symbol name would be
> great. Maybe this is worthy an enhancement request?

Feel free. I have no idea how likely it is to ever be implemented.

However, if your custom wrappers are generated at compilation time rather
than generated as files to be compiled later, then it's unnecessary to know
whether an alias was used, since then you'd just use the exact type being
used for that particular compilation.

- Jonathan M Davis