First run after build on Windows is slow

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Tue Jun 26 18:10:17 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 26 June 2018 at 12:58:29 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 June 2018 at 12:40:05 UTC, phs wrote:
>> Although, it's a little bit strange because I have never had
>> this issue with my C++ development.
>
> The c++ compiler and runtime libraries are common enough that
> the antivirus realizes it is nothing special, but since D is
> more obscure it just flags it as abnormal and does further
> checks. (more obscure C++ compilers can do the same thing).
>
> Walter has written Microsoft and they have OK'd it before, but
> then one side or the other updates and then they are out of
> whack again :(

Yes, the anti-virus situation is really annoying on windows. I
couldn't install dmd 2.080 on the work PC as the AV always
quarantained some of the installed tools which made the install
routine fail. The blame lies on our work PC's which are
incredibly misconfigured and limited (proxy that Microsoft VS
installer can not overcome even if any other program can, extra
small system SSD, eager anti-virus that cannot be instructed of
anything, profiles with read/write desktop but no delete (this
means that a shortcut can be copied on the desktop but can never
be removed), etc. etc.)
Just had to vent my frustration. I love D but the elements are
against me to be able to enjoy it to the fullest...