Speed of math function atan: comparison D and C++

J-S Caux js at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 05:35:28 UTC 2018

I'm considering shifting a large existing C++ codebase into D
(it's a scientific code making much use of functions like atan,
log etc).

I've compared the raw speed of atan between C++ (Apple LLVM
version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.29)) and D (dmd v2.079.0, also ldc2
1.7.0) by doing long loops of such functions.

I can't get the D to run faster than about half the speed of C++.

Are there benchmarks for such scientific functions published
somewhere?