Speed of math function atan: comparison D and C++

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Tue Mar 6 07:12:57 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-05 20:11:06 +0000, H. S. Teoh said:

> Walter has been adamant that we should always compute std.math.*
> functions with the `real` type, which on x86 maps to the non-IEEE 80-bit
> floats.  However, 80-bit floats have been deprecated for a while now,

Hi, do you have a reference for this? I can't believe this, as the
80-bit are pretty important for a lot of optimization algorithms. We
use it all the time and it's absolutly necessary.

> and pretty much nobody cares to improve their performance on newer CPUs,

Really?

> focusing instead on SSE/MMX performance with 64-bit doubles.  People
> have been clamoring for using 64-bit doubles by default rather than
> 80-bit floats, but so far Walter has refused to budge.

IMO this is all driven by the GPU/AI hype that just (seems) to be happy
with rough precision.

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com