DUB and Gtk-d reduce size of huge executable, build dynamic dependencies

CSim mail at csim.org
Wed Mar 7 10:51:49 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether it is better to use DLang for Gtk
development or Vala/Genie.

When I make a simple Vala/Genie Gtk executable the file is tiny
whereas the DLang file is huge.  First I used the default Dub
build and the file was in excess of 60mb (assuming this includes
debug build).  Using dub build=release the file is still more
than 7 mb.  Using a native Vala/Genie build the file is less than
500k.

Trying to understand what is going on, but I assume from this
that Dub is linking static dependencies, whereas the Vala/Genie
builds will link to dynamic libraries.

So my (two pronged) question is this:  Is there any way to
specify in dub.json to build and link dependencies as dynamic
libraries, and are there any other tips that can be used to
reduce these (relatively) huge executables?