Build an AliasSeq from memberFunction return types

Simen Kjærås simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:58:30 UTC 2018

On Friday, 9 March 2018 at 17:47:46 UTC, Timoses wrote:
> To retrieve the member names the following (and filtering for
> only the functions) does the job:
>
>    alias members = aliasSeqOf!([__traits(allMembers, S)]);

This can be simplified to
alias members = Alias!(__traits(allMembers, S));

> However, I now would want to build an AliasSeq of the types. My
> idea would be (absolute pseudocode!!!):
>
>    alias memberTypes;
>    static foreach (member; members)
>    {
>       memberTypes ~= ReturnType!S.member;
>    }

Generally, we use recursive templates in these cases:

template GetMemberTypes(funcs...) {
     static if (funcs.length == 0) {
         alias GetMemberTypes = AliasSeq!();
     } else {
         alias GetMemberTypes = AliasSeq!(
               ReturnType!(funcs[0]),
               GetMemberTypes!(funcs[1..$])
               );

However, std.meta has staticMap, which will do this recursion for
us:

alias memberTypes = staticMap!(ReturnType, members);

Of course, this assumes 'members' contains only the functions you
care about. All in all, what you want can be boiled down to this
code:

import std.meta : staticMap, Alias, Filter;
import std.traits : isFunction, ReturnType;
import std.bitmanip : bitfields;

struct A
{
     int a;
     mixin(bitfields!(
         uint, "x",    2,
         int,  "y",    3,
         uint, "z",    2,
         bool, "flag", 1));
}

template GetMember(T) {
     alias GetMember(string name) = Alias!(__traits(getMember, T,
name));
}
alias memberTypes = staticMap!(ReturnType, Filter!(isFunction,
staticMap!(GetMember!A, __traits(allMembers, A))));

So, how does it work?

GetMember is a template that takes an aggregate type as a
parameter and returns a new template that takes a string. This
inner template then returns the member of the aggregate type that
has that name:

// Define a template that will find a member in A.
alias GetMemberOfA = GetMember!A;

// Get the 'flag' member of A.
alias someMemberOfA = GetMemberOfA!"flag";

Next: This line is a bit of a mouthful, so let's break it down:
alias memberTypes = staticMap!(ReturnType, Filter!(isFunction,
staticMap!(GetMember!A, __traits(allMembers, A))));

becomes:

// Grab the name of every single member of A.
alias allMemberNames = Alias!(__traits(allMembers, A));

// Define a template that will find a member in A.
alias GetMemberOfA = GetMember!A;

// Now get the members of A that correspond to the names
__traits(allMembers) returned.
alias allMembers = staticMap!(GetMemberOfA, allMemberNames);

// Get rid of everything that's not a function.
alias onlyFunctions = Filter!(isFunction, allMembers);

// And finally grab the return type of each function.
alias memberTypes = staticMap!(ReturnType, onlyFunctions);

--
   Simen