Allocator Part of Type

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 19:36:10 UTC 2018

I recall some talk Andrei did where he said it was a bad idea to
make the allocator part of the type.  However, the container
library in dlang-community(says it is backed with
std.experimental.allocator) contains allocator as part of the
type. Automem does too. Honestly, I would think you would really
be hobbled if you didn't. For instance, if you want to expand a
DynamicArray using the built-in ~= operator, then you really need
to know what the allocator is. Without ~= you'd have to rely on
functions (maybe member functions, maybe not).

So I suppose I'm wondering why is it a bad thing to include the
allocator as part of the type and why is it that it seems like in
practice that's how it is done anyway.