Slow start up time of runtime

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Tue Mar 20 09:51:09 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 at 09:44:41 UTC, Dennis wrote:
> Simply running a "hello world.exe" takes, on my pc:
>
> 1.12s When compiled with dmd
> 0.62s When compiled with ldc
> 0.05s When compiled with dmc (C program) or dmd/ldc as a
> -betterC program
>
> I suppose initializing the runtime takes a lot of time. When
> making a simple command line utility, half a second of delay is
> highly undesirable.
>
> Are there ways to reduce this to below 0.1s, or should I just
> leave idiomatic D and make a betterC program?

It's not necessarily the runtime that's slow.

Besides if it was and it took 1 second to startup, then it
wouldn't matter in practice with an actual application.

Besides there could be a lot other factors.

Without actual compiler versions, compiler flags and example code
then it's pretty much impossible to tell what's slow.

For me it's certainly not that slow with dmd.