remote execute program

Cecil Ward d at cecilward.com
Fri Mar 23 01:23:56 UTC 2018

I am wanting to write a short program (on a ‘server’ you could
say) that takes a command, runs it (as on the command line, so an
executable with arguments or a shell command) and returns a
3-tuple with an int for the return code, plus the textual outputs
that it generates to stdout and stderr. I can see a number of
suitable routines in the D runtime libraries, which are already
D-ified to save me a some trouble mindlessly converting code from
C.

Where I could do with some help is as follows: I'm needing to
send the commands to a remote box using http has to be used
because the local-end program (on an iPad) that I have to
interfacing to can only speak http/https, and can not handle just
a straight eg TCP connection. Despite the overheads from using
http, if I can employ gzip compression on the link then that will
be a big gain.

Could anyone give me some general pointers for where to look?

The server box is a linux machine. I'm a very experienced
professional C programmer but amazingly have never done anything
with *nix in general or http-related C libraries.

I asked a question in this forum earlier about general low-level
networking, but now this requirement has come up that mandates
the use of very simple http and needs only synchronous
operations. The impressive framework that is vibe.d has already
been mentioned, but the amount of reading matter is rather
daunting.

A simple D example of an http transaction would be very helpful.