"in" no longer "scope" since 2.079.0?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:16:15 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 at 09:27:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> it was deemed too dangerous to have in suddenly really mean
> both scope and const, because it would potentially break a lot
> of code.

To be frank, this pisses me off to a ridiculous extent because if
it "breaks" at all... THAT CODE WAS ALREADY BROKEN. The compiler
would now just be actually telling you the truth.

And many of us have spent years describing what it is supposed to
do (it WAS documented in the spec the whole time!) and how to use
it properly, so much code using it may actually be totally
correct, and keeping the original behavior would actually help
adoption of the new rules because more code would be compatible
with it!

We need to stop being cowards about compile errors. The compiler
actually correctly flagging an error that it skipped before isn't
code breakage. That's FIXING broken code by actually drawing
attention to the ALREADY EXISTING bug.