Interfacing with C++ Class named Object

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Tue May 1 17:14:53 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-01 16:07:30 +0000, Timoses said:

> On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 at 15:24:09 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
>> Hi, I'm mostly doing simple C-API wrappers around C++ code to access
>> thigns from D. However, I wanted to try how far I can come using C++
>> directly.
>>
>> I have the following C++ code in namespace N:
>>
>> class Image : public Object {
>> 	Error create(int w, int h, uint32_t p) noexcept;
>> }
>> And I have the following D code:
>> extern (C++, N) {
>> class Object {
>> }
>> class Image : public Object {
>> uint create(int w, int h, uint pixelFormat);
>> }
>> }
>> So frist problem I see is, that a C++ class names Object is pretty
>> unfortunate as this is a reserved class name in D. And DMD doesn't seem
>> to allow using Object inside a C++ scope (which IMO should be possible).
>> Am I right, that there is no chance to handle this case other than
>> ranming the C++ base class?
>
> Would `pragma(mangle, ...)` work here?
> https://dlang.org/spec/pragma.html#mangle

Yes, great! Thanks. I could extend the code now. But I get a next problem:

extern (C++, b2d) {
  class AnyBase {
    bool isShared();
  }

  pragma(mangle, "Object");
  class b2dObject : AnyBase {
  }

  class Image : b2dObject {
  // class Image {
    uint create(int w, int h, uint pixelFormat);

The linke complains about missing symbols:

error LNK2001: "public: virtual bool __cdecl
b2d::AnyBase::isShared(void)" (?isShared at AnyBase@b2d@@UEBA_NXZ)
error LNK2001: "public: virtual unsigned int __cdecl
b2d::Image::create(int,int,unsigned int)"
(?create at Image@b2d@@UEAAIHHI at Z)

I have in my C++ link lib:

?isShared at AnyBase@b2d@@QEBA_NXZ which demangles to => public: BOOL
__cdecl b2d::AnyBase::isShared(void)const __ptr64

So, the difference is the "virtual" specifier on the D side, while the
C++ mangeling is missing this. I have this for many functions.

Any idea how to handle this?

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com